Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pilot: Successor to "Fighting and Dieting"

Hello and welcome!

     This blog is the successor to my previous blog titled "Fighting and Dieting"  I have chosen to turn the page to a new chapter of blogging and chronicling my fitness and nutritional endeavors.  The primary reason for this is that the title of the previous blog was not fitting to my current view on the subject.  There is so much more to my sporting lifestyle and nutritional escapades than merely fighting and dieting.
     While I am a trained fighter and still continue to train striking sports, such as boxing, and compete in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I also am an avid fan of rock climbing and bouldering.  I also train people for various sporting events; everything from powerlifting competitions to Spartan races.  I like to view athletics as an open sourced project.  That is that it can be hacked (in a sense) and should be customized to the individual's needs and goals.  Hence the title "Confessions of an Open Source Athlete" is much more fitting to the topics that will be contained in this blog.  The content material will roughly remain the same but will be more broad and dynamic.
     The second reasons for the change was that I feel that this is the beginning of a new chapter in my fitness life.  I feel that the previous blog was created to chronicle my early adventure into combat sports and share the nutritional and dietary wisdom I have gathered over the years.  While the sharing of wisdom is something I shall continue here, the pilot stages of my combat sport career are surely behind me.  The previous blog can be thought of as chapter one in the detailed volume of my athletic career.  Fighting and Dieting was specifically designed to give insight into my "post-college" endeavor into combat sports.  Now, I am returning to college and thus I feel that I have outgrown the previous blog and its limitations as described above.
     There is no specific time parameters for this blog, so it should continue for quite a long run.  The old blog will remain in tact for archive purposes.  The link in the opening line of this post will take you there.  The idea of being an open sourced athlete is that you draw insight and tidbits of knowledge from a variety of sources.  You are not narrowly confined to the "traditional" training methods of your sport, nor is biographical content limited to that specific sport or one's interests at that particular time.  I have learned a great deal of nutritional knowledge from sources ranging from doctors and nurses, to bodybuilders and personal trainers, to medical journals and laboratory research reports, and most of all from my own experiences.  The same can be said of my knowledge of athletics.  If I am looking to hone my jiu jitsu or boxing skills, I will reference resources specific to the topic at hand.  Much the same, if I am looking to develop my weight-to-power ratio or increase my VO2 threshold I may consult a power lifting or sprinter's training regime.
     I invite all followers and fans, friends and training partners, and even ambitious keyboard warriors to continue reading this blog and continue to draw knowledge and insight from it.  The topics of the old blog still remain valid, but life moves on whether we choose to "update" or evolve with it is up to us.  Here is your update, now log on!

No comments:

Post a Comment